Wednesday, July 25, 2012

THINGS I'VE LEARNED FROM RAISING BOYS

My past few posts have been serious-minded, and I thought it might be time to talk about something a little more light-hearted. After all, the name of this blog includes my musings. :)  As a teacher and mother of three boys,  I've learned quite a lot about them. They are in constant motion, always up for adventure, and soooo different than girls. Here are just a few of the things they've taught me:


Disclaimer: Not for the squeamish or those who have never had the pleasure of raising or being around boys.... :)


THINGS I'VE LEARNED FROM RAISING BOYS:

Hiding food is sometimes necessary to avoid being eaten out of house and home. Hint: The electric skillet is wonderful for this - boys just don't think to raise the lid and look inside an appliance.

Youtube is full of gross and disgusting videos. Think twice before watching something they find hilarious.

Boys actually do use the sniff test on clothing sometimes. Eeeww.

Burping the alphabet is a talent that most boys seem to find admirable.  


If someone looks at you and says, "I smell popcorn", whatever you do, don't sniff.  It probably means they just farted. 

Boys will be dirty, wet, or messy a majority of the time, and they enjoy it.


Anything is more fun if you can climb it, kick it, or take it apart. Be warned, the teen years
expand to include blowing things up.

Always check to see if toothbrushes are wet. Asking if they've brushed their teeth only encourages vague answers like "I think I did" or "Not yet".  The same goes for young boys who've just used the potty... don't trust them to use soap. I had a sniff test of my own... smell their hands and you'll be certain.


Fascination with "that" body part starts at a very early age. Ever notice how little boys hands just seem to radiate to their pants? When my son was only two, I put him in the bathtub one day, and just as he sat down in the water, he smiled  at me and said, "Look Mommy, my pee-pee is getting bigger and bigger and bigger!"    (Thankfully he doesn't read my blog posts! lol)


To be continued........


(  PROOF THAT IT STARTS EARLY  )

        
My son, Jesse's first birthday. He enjoyed his cake.





My son, John at 10 months old... always into things. :)








 

No comments:

Post a Comment