Friday, April 1, 2016


APRIL FOOLS DAY FUN



It's that time of year again.. Spring has arrived and along with it, the national holiday for misbehaving. We have a lot of fun with it in our house, and I'll miss my boys this year. Jesse has his own apartment now and John is away at college so I won't feel the need to be looking over my shoulder, but I can't help thinking of some of our past April Fools Days and chuckling to myself.

For instance, two years ago I ran across a website dedicated to practical jokes and clicked it,  eagerly looking for the perfect prank to play on my sons.  Why, you might ask, would a loving mother want to do such a thing? 

  
1)      To pay them back for the MANY times I’ve been soaked by the spray nozzle at our kitchen sink because of a rubber band wrapped around the handle.




2)      Because they loved to sneak up behind me on a daily basis and shout or whisper some seemingly innocent phrase that made me jump, scream, and sometimes throw things in the air.
(Not to mention the times they waited just outside the bathroom door or hid in the dark laundry room to scare me when I came in from the garage).


3) Because they turn into comediennes each time I attempt to take a picture of OR with them.
See photo below.



4)    Finally, because they found it hysterical to place a life size cardboard cut-out of a storm trooper all around our house- particularly right behind doors, in order to startle me senseless.
It worked.
So did finding it behind the shower curtain, in the laundry room, and the many other unexpected places it appeared.



 Unfortunately, I have to admit, the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree. I've always enjoyed a good practical joke so I was thrilled to find the website with so many great ideas. Some I'd seen before...like putting plastic wrap underneath the seat of the toilet, but really, who wants to clean up that mess?  A little baby powder in the blow-dryer? Funny, but another potential mess and who knew if they'd even use it that day? 
  When I saw that someone had suggested scraping off some of the icing in the center of Oreo cookies and replacing it with toothpaste, I knew I’d found the one.  





We even had some already in the pantry! It went off without a hitch and I got to enjoy the astonished look on their faces when they tasted the cookies I lovingly offered them after school. 

Yep, love is the glue that binds a family together… even the sadistic kind of love that fills our home with laughter - particularly on April Fool’s Day.  I've always heard that laughter is the best medicine and if it's true, then I'll take a double dose because I wouldn't trade these memories for anything.

  The page I used has expired, but if you’re looking for a good prank or practical joke to play yourself, here are a couple of links to get you started. 






You can find many more with just a quick google search, but hurry, time's almost up! :)






1 comment:

  1. Laura, your sense of humor is what every boy needs. Your boys sound like mine.

    ReplyDelete