Wednesday, June 27, 2012


CLAY IN THE POTTER'S HAND



Have you ever used a pottery wheel? As you sit down, it's easy to look at that lump of moist, wet clay and wonder how it will ever end up to be something beautiful or even useful. At least that's how I felt sitting down in an art class many years ago. But then, unbelievably, as the wheel spins, you begin to feel the mushy clay rise up and see it begin to take shape in your hands. It can actually be formed into something with the right touch. With just the right amount of guidance and pressure, it can be fashioned into a beautiful work of art. That is how God must see us... that is why He continually works and molds us. He created us and knows what we can become. He sees our worth even if we ourselves and others may not. If we will only let Him shape our life, we are sure to become something beautiful and useful.

Even the best artist cannot form something from clay that is hard and dried up; it has to be pliable in the potter's hand....yielding to his touch. I want to be like that clay. I want to be shaped by Him into something more than I am on my own. I'm in my late 40's and realize now more than ever that God is still working on me. (Thank you Lord!). He works on us at every age, through our whole life. It is up to us to be like clay and  yield to His touch. We can't be dried up or too stiff or we will never become the work of art that He intends us to be. Sometimes, without even realizing it,  past hurts and experiences have hardened us and made us difficult to work with. We focus on that instead of becoming what we can be. Or we are so set in our beliefs and habits, it becomes hard to yield. Sometimes, we never really get past seeing ourselves as that big glob of clay with no potential. 

I've read many verses in scripture that refer to the potter and the clay, but have recently really been reflecting on them. Ephesians 2:10 says that we are God's workmanship. (For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them). He formed us for a purpose. II Cor 5:5.  Verse 15 goes on to tell us that we are to live for Him because of His great love for us. He sees great value in us. ( Matt. 6:26 and Luke 12:7)  He created us, loves us, and bought us with a great price. He never gives us on us or leaves us on our own. I am so glad to know that He doesn't give up when I become lop-sided like that clay, but gently works to form me into something more. I'm so thankful to know that He sees beauty in me.


He hath made everything beautiful in its time... Eccl. 3:11









No comments:

Post a Comment